back to top

Public Speaking Requires Divine Intervention

Perhaps the most common phobia shared by people of all ages is the fear of speaking in public.  Clearly, the thought of standing before a large group, a solitary figure addressing the masses, can make the bravest of us quake, whimper and plead for our Mommy. Add the heightened anxiety of having to deliver that oratory in a foreign language and you now face the daily double of distress.

Months ago, my sister Sally informed me that I would be performing a speaking role in my niece Irene’s upcoming Bat Mitzvah.  Knowing that I could not refuse an invitation to be part of Irene’s big day, Sally dispensed of the asking and assigned me a job.  Sally has successfully carried on our mom’s tradition of making me do the right thing despite the trunk full of angst I schlep around.  Someone had to do it. Sally also assured me that she would write the Hebrew out phonetically, if needed. Still a bit stunned by this sudden appointment, I agreed to participate and continued our conversation.  It was only after I hung up, that the terror set in.

From age ten to age thirteen I attended Hebrew school twice a week and I have little to no recollection of the experience. There is a dark blot in my memory when I think about Hebrew school – kind of like the missing time phenomenon experienced in alien abduction scenarios. One thing is for certain, I don’t know one word of Hebrew.

My own Bar Mitzvah was accomplished by paying an older Hebrew school classmate ten dollars to recite the portion of the service for which I would be responsible into a cassette machine, recreating the same reading that he had done the year before. I heard that this method had a fairly high percentage of success and the boat had long ago sailed on actually learning the material. I listened to that recording hundreds of times prior to my impending temple performance and when the big day arrived I was able to sing out that information like a rabbinical scholar.  Afterwards, I made a little gift money and got out of the Jewish business while I was ahead. I certainly  never thought that I would need to remember some of those prayers forty years later!

Driving up to New York, I practiced my lines with my wife Janet.  Unfortunately, Janet did not understand a word I was chanting, and I had no perspective whether I was doing it right or wrong.  She did mention that I was saying it really fast and that I needed to slow down a little.  Frankly, I felt speed could be an ally, reasoning that if I went fast enough no one would catch my errors or even understand what I was saying. That night in the hotel, I repeated my lines over and over again.  I needed to get this right for Irene.

The following morning we arrived at the temple and I was drowning in my own suit. I had foolishly told Sally that I didn’t need a phonetic cheat-sheet and I was beginning to regret my arrogance.  At one point in the ceremony Sally handed me a small index card with another prayer on it.  “Oh now are we going off script,” I thought, “are these last minute changes?”

Thankfully, the card was meant for Matt, my brother-in-law.  Minutes later I was handed a laminated card by a member of the temple who instructed me that I was on in five minutes and I was to give the card to the man up at the pulpit. I would have prayed at this point, but I was afraid that I might confuse myself further.  Instead I swallowed hard and looked at Irene, who was the picture of tranquility, which helped calm my nerves.

When the time came, I rose from my seat, approached the platform and launched into prayer.  At one point I failed to repeat a line in the text and the congregation members who were standing with me stopped me and pointed to the Hebrew passage that I had missed.  My sweat glands went into overdrive.  They could have been pointing at a picture of Washington crossing the Delaware and it would have been just as helpful. I didn’t know the words on the page and never did.

Quickly, I somehow regained my composure, righted myself, delivered the right phrase and nailed the dismount. Nervously smiling at Janet and my nephew Andy, I completed my duty and returned to my seat. Irene did a fantastic job during the longest Bat Mitzvah in history and somewhere in the heavens our mother was smiling.

Forty years between performances, and I still did fairly well. It’s funny how I can remember something from so long ago, yet still manage to forget where I put my glasses daily. Perhaps there was a larger force at work last Saturday?

You’ve just gotta believe.

Latest Articles


- Advertisement -Fox Radio CBS Sports Radio Advertisement

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -Fox Radio CBS Sports Radio Advertisement

Related Articles